about me

My photo
¡bienvenidos! my name is ellie and i am a junior spanish major at covenant college. thanks for following my spring adventures in spain!

Monday, March 9, 2015

Let the adventuring continue!

Happy Monday morning world! And happy spring break to all you Covenant students! This morning (12:30ish) finds me at The Good Burger, enjoying some ice cream while reflecting on that past week. I arrived at school this morning to find out that my professor would not be in today, and just like that my morning became free! This afternoon I'll be going to our amazing receptionist, Ana Bello's house to learn how to cook paella and croquetas.  Both classic Spanish foods!

This week was a full one! I kayaked (Monday & Wednesday), drank cafe con leche (every day), turned 21 (Thursday), explored Toledo (Thursday & Friday), and experienced Madrid (Friday - Sunday)!

The Toledo trip was with the Semester in Spain program, and we got to go to La Iglesia de San Tomé, which houses El Greco's Entierra del Señor de Orgaz. I've been studying El Greco in my history of Spanish art class, and so it was incredible to see that in person. We also got to go to the Cathedral of Toledo, which is considered the most Spanish of the gothic cathedrals in Spain, and also is home to Greco's Expolio. On our way to Toledo we made a stop at some windmills, which appear pretty normal but are actually the ones from Don Quixote! I spent my birthday night exploring the winding streets of Toledo and eating delicious food with good friends, and Friday afternoon I caught a bus with some other students to Madrid!

El Explio

Wow, Madrid. Everyone should go! There is so much to do and it is such a fun city, and this was also a spur of the moment trip for me (I decided Thursday to go)! My friends and I stayed at a hostel called Way Hostel, and walked a ton.  Saturday morning we went to San Gines, which opened in 1894 and is the oldest and best place to find churros con chocolate! After that we went to Plaza Mayor and then to the Mercado de San Miguel, which was full of delicious-looking fruits, veggies, meats, seafood, and wine. We met up with some other students from Semester in Spain at the Palacio Real to do a tour (student discounts are great) and got to see the armory and first floor of the palace! On our way to lunch at El Tigre we stopped at the Puerta del Sol to see the famous bear statue, then continued up to Gran Via to find El Tigre. Guys, that little bar was incredible- if you're ever in Madrid, go! We grabbed lunch there then went to take a little rest by the Prado before we took in some art, which consisted in laying on a grassy hill listening to the sounds of a guitar. The Museo del Prado is HUGE. We spent around two hours there which was not nearly enough, (got in for free-student discount) but had time to see Las Meninas by Velazquez. There are no words to describe how amazing it is to stand before such a magnificent work of art! I also got the see The Third of May, by Goya and many many other masterpieces. After the Prado we went over to Reina Sofia to see the Guernica by Picasso which was obviously incredible. We also visited the Parque del Retiro and did some shopping on Gran Via! Madrid is definitely one of my favorite cities, but after our six hour bus ride back to Sevilla, it felt great to be home!

San Gines- Churros con chocolate

El Mercado de San Miguel

Palacio Real

The bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment